WELCOME TO KNYSNA & SEDGEFIELD
– your ideal events destination
Welcome to one of the most desirable – and scenically beautiful – events destinations in South Africa.
The municipality of Knysna stretches from the Swartvlei Estuary (west of Sedgefield, and about 30 km west of Knysna's CBD) to Brackenhill (about 10 km east of the CBD), and from the Indian Ocean in the South (about 6 km as the crow flies) to the peaks of the Outeniqua Mountains to the north (about 20 km but a little further by road).
But of course such a dry description of our administrative boundaries can never give you a feeling for the wonderful mix of beaches, forests, rivers, lagoons, wildlife, villages, people, cultures and venues that make Knysna and Sedgefield so incredibly appealing.
Nor can it give you a feeling for our awesome weather. (Historically, this is the only part of Africa that receives rain throughout the year. But. You know. Weather. It's great, but these days, who can control it?).
But that's what this site is designed to do: provide you with as much information as you need both to whet your appetite, and to answer your questions about local locations and services – and to help you ensure that your next product launch, sports event, race, or party in Knysna is your most successful, ever. And by far.
Knysna has become the home of some of South Africa's most iconic events. Here's just a sample selection to inspire you:
- The Knysna Bull (3-stage MTB race in February)
- The Knysna Celtic Festival (February)
- The Knysna Literary Festival (March)
- Sedgefield's Slow Festival (April)
- The Pink Loerie Mardi Gras & Arts Festival (April/May)
- The Jaguar Simola Hillclimb (May)
- The Pick n Pay Knysna Oyster Festival (July)
- The Rastafarian Earth Festival (July)
- The Karoo-to-Coast 100 km MTB Challenge (September)
- The Knysna Arts Festival (October)
- The Knysna Timber Festival (November)
- The Rotary Knysna Splash water festival (December)
- ... And many, many (including yours) more!
You'll need a permit for any organised event in any public area in Knysna - but don't stress! This site'll help you make the right choice of venues or routes - and provide the information that'll make applying for permits and ensuring that your arrangements are compliant with the laws, regulations, and by-laws as straightforward as possible.
- Click here for detailed information about applying for a permit for your event.
- Click here http://saflii.org/za/legis/num_act/sasarea415.pdf to download the national act that governs safety at events in South Africa. (Safety at Sports and Recreational Events - Act No. 2 of 2010)
A MESSAGE FROM THE MUNICIPALITY OF KNYSNA
Thank you for visiting this site, and thank you for considering Knysna for your next event.
Please accept our invitation to contact us to discuss any issues you have regarding the legal requirements for large events in our town, and in the rural areas around us.
With more than 30 years of experience as members of the JOC (Joint Organising Committee) of one of South Africa's most famous sports and lifestyle events (the Pick n Pay Knysna Oyster Festival) our municipal officials are deeply aware of the challenges facing you, the event organiser - and we're committed to helping you wherever we can.
We wish you all the best for your project – and we look forward to working with you!
Ilse van Schalkwyk
Local Economic Development, Municipality of Knysna
Telephone: +27 (0)44 302 6358