Knysna offers local incentives as part of being a destination of choice for filming on the African continent. Local Incentives include:
- No permit fees on any Municipal Locations
- Lean & fast permitting application process and approvals
- Pre-guide and orientation to location managers
- Discounts on accommodation and other supplier (by arrangement)
- Blanket permit for micro-shoots
(Information on this page is drawn from the national Department of Trade and Industry – the DTI).
The South African Government offers a package of incentives to promote its film production and post-production industry. These include_:
- The Foreign Film and Television Production and Post-Production incentive to attract foreign-based film productions to shoot on location in South Africa and conduct post-production activities;
- The South African Film and Television Production and Co-Production incentive, which aims to assist local film producers in the production of local content.; and
- The South African Emerging Black Filmmakers incentive (a sub-programme of the South African Film and Television Production and Co-production Incentive), which aims to assist local emerging black filmmakers to nurture and grow them to take up big productions and thus contribute towards employment creation.
Brand South Africa's post about the South Africa’s film industry provides an overview of the following information: